Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mangia! Mangia!


And so Benett's life long journey with food begins. His first real food experience...carrots. Over the weekend Mike, Benett, and I went to Whole Foods to pick up some organic produce so I could make Benett's baby food. My friend Marisa has let me borrow her organic baby food cook book which is wonderful. I have made carrots and sweet potatoes so far and will be making squash, peas, green beans, and beets as the weeks go by. Even though I have only made two veggies so far, I have already learned a valuable lesson...it is good to open an actual jar of baby food to find out the consistency before you attempt to make your own. Turns out the carrots I made are a little too mealy (for a lack of a better term) for Benett to actually eat. So, I had to feed him a jar of carrots for his first experience because the ones I made forced his gag reflex...whoops! I don't feel too terrible about it though because he accidentally makes himself gag with his thumb quite often (usually because he moves his tongue too far in the back of his mouth). Anyway, Benett really seems to enjoy the new taste he has added to his diet. Eat up little man, you have a long journey ahead of you!

1 comment:

Steve said...

That is great! Congrats and send him our well wishes! We can't wait to have y'all in FLorida next month! BTW, his gag reflex will come in handy when he starts eating his Dad's BBQ! :-)