Monday, March 31, 2008

A Day of Firsts...

Yesterday I ran the Capital 10K in Austin. For years I have wanted to run this race but it always seemed like I had something going on. I was pumped that I was able to run it and really, this was the first race where I just ran it to run it and didn't really train. While it wasn't too bad of an experience pain-wise - I am a bit embarrassed to say that I ran it in 1:00:53... Some of you will think, "Well dang Mike, at least you ran it." While others will go, "Dang Mike, you are out of shape!" It also rained on us on and off throughout the race (another first for me) which I found pretty nice actually, it felt like it dropped the temperature a few degrees... For those keeping score at home here are the firsts: first time to run the Capital 10K, the first time for me to run that slow in a race, the first time for me to run without training, and the first time to get rained on during the race.

Anyway, where do I go from here? Well first, I need to get my weight down. I am 197lbs as of this morning - my ideal fighting weight is 180lbs (I've been there twice in the last 7 years). I want to get down there again when I get a chance to redeem myself at the Cap Tex Tri - That is a triathlon that ends with a 10K. My goal will be to knock down my 10K time from the Cap10K to the CapTex Tri by 10min and 17lbs... Pretty lofty goals for 8 weeks - But as a wise man once said, "Nobody rises to low expectations."

No comments: