Monday, June 25, 2007

Lake Pflugerville Tri Race Report

Today was the Lake Pflugerville Triathlon. This was my first tri of the year and Amanda's second. Click on the image below for our the results:

Here are the complete results: by age group or overall

This was the first year they have had this race (this is also the first year they have had Lake Pflugerville!) and we had a total blast. Unlike other first year races we have done, this was well organized and the course was relatively smooth. The weather was also very nice -I don't think it got into the 80s during the race, there was little wind and was mostly overcast which was nice considering there was not a single square inch of shade on the run course.

A major highlight is Amanda knocking off 10 minutes from her last race. She showed huge improvements in the swim and the bike. She also was one place away from a podium spot and 3 minutes from the winner of her age group.

If you looked at the results you will notice that I (Mike) am also 30 years old now - do you know how much that stinks? USAT apparently started a new age grouping rule of thumb that states you will race in an age group based on your age December 31st of that year. Since my birthday is in November, long after racing season has ended, I get the privilege of racing with the 30-34 year olds which just happens to be the most competitive age group in the sport. So what does that mean for me? That means that instead of the 2nd place finish I would have received if I had been in the 25-29 year old age group, I got a lovely 6th place finish in the 30-34 year olds. I guess now I get something to really strive for! Though neither Amanda or I claimed a podium spot, we are thrilled with our times and performance through the day. Our next race will be the Couples Triathlon on July 15th where we will compete in the married division and hope to claim a first or second place finish.

Mike's training stats for the week:
7400 yards swimming
38 miles biking
9 miles running
Total training time 5 hours 45 minutes

1 comment:

The Guitrau's said...

Wow Trim. I'm up to a mile or two of fast hopping a week. NG