Friday, July 9, 2010

The Only Thing in Life That Never Changes...


Is That Life is Constantly Changing. Mike and I started preparing Benett for Andrew's arrival a few months ago when we turned the guest bedroom into his "Big Boy Room." We started out just playing in the big empty room after we moved the guest bed to the front bedroom. Then we bought him his bed and furniture and began decorating it for him. Once the bedding was purchased and the curtains hung, Benett started taking naps in his Big Boy Bed. It has been a little over a month since we started his naps and I am proud to say that the past 2 nights he has slept in his Big Boy Bed successfully.

First nap in his bed.


I can't believe that he is out of his crib. It was a little strange for me to see his nursery door wide open and crib empty as I was going to bed last night. Little ones grow up so quickly. I think I am also getting a little sentimental about Benett being a baby because I have been working on his baby book the past few days as well. I never got around to finishing everything from his first year and know that if I don't get it done before Andrew gets here it will stay incomplete for a long time.

Interacting with Benett lately has been so much fun! He is really starting to talk A LOT! He repeats things we say and surprises us with his own thoughts often. He also recognizes and can tell us about half the letters of the alphabet. Just this morning he was drinking out of my glass of "Dadda juice," which is what Benett calls orange juice because Dadda always has a glass for breakfast, and Benett pointed and said "y." I was again impressed with how much he is learning. Benett is also beginning to understand what is going on around him. He knows that Mike goes to work in the morning and will say "bye, bye Dadda, work" when Mike leaves. He also tells me "Dadda home" when he thinks Mike has returned to the house or when he wants Mike to be home. One of the cutest things Benett has started to say is "Yay, Mama" as he throws his hands up over his head (He will also say "Yay, Dadda" or "Yay, Nana"). He totally came up with that phrase on his own one morning when Mike and Benett came in to get me up out of bed. Mike sat Benett next to me and he was so happy to see me that he threw his hands in the air and said "Yay, Mama!" Talk about a moment that just makes a mom's heart smile and feel loved.


Along with getting Benett prepared for Andrew, I too have started getting things organized and cleaned up around here. Most recently I got the car seat and baby papasan out of storage and cleaned up. Benett is of course always interested in what I am doing and needed to try out both for himself. Needless to say he is a little too big for these items now.


Seeing Benett in these pictures makes me again just marvel at the extreme changes that children go through in such a short amount of time. It's no wonder that Benett can go from happy, content child to throwing a tantrum because he just wants to do something that Mama and Dadda won't let him do. It is probably a good thing that as adults you don't remember your early years of childhood. Since Benett's days can sometimes be very polarized with his mood and emotions, I try to stay as consistent as possible in my emotions even when he is literally all over the place. God has definitely been helping me A LOT with my patience and keeping my emotions in check these days as I am raise a 21 month old and deal with pregnancy hormones. I don't think I could make it through a day without Him.

As we progress through the next few weeks, my belly will get bigger, I will probably get more stretch marks (since I didn't get any with B, I had no idea that they could be so uncomfortable), Benett will continue to impress us, and Andrew will make his debut into this world. Although I don't know what to expect with the arrival of a second child, I do know that our love for God and our little family will increase more than I can imagine. I know there will be moments of pure joy and moments of tears, and through it all there will be love.

No comments: